The new airport terminal is a state-of-the-art facility. It is accessible to all passengers, including features such as covered passenger boarding bridges, and to provide the comfort that travellers have come to expect with more room and modern lounges. There are improved concessions, restaurants and duty-free offerings as well as views of Bermuda’s beautiful water for passengers to enjoy.
Pre-clearance for US departures remained and security screening and immigration have been streamlined and modernised for a more efficient check-in and arrivals.
The new facility has been designed with sustainability in mind to minimize environmental impact and maximise efficiencies. Being located further inland, the new airport terminal is more resistant to hurricanes, and was built at a higher elevation than the existing one. The new airport has a bright and open layout and universal pictorial signage. The airport includes:
- Design elements that reference classical Bermudian architecture, including sloping roof angles, and triangles.
- Light and open spaces to give an airy impression and walls styled to represent coral reefs, as part of a marine theme.
- Lush landscaping using indigenous flora compatible with Bermuda’s environment and sustainable water features to create an invigorating outdoor experience that travellers can enjoy on an expansive patio.
- Plantings, sourced or grown on-island and re-purposed landfill.
- A display representing Bermudian culture, including stylized kites and birds together with other contributions from local artists. Vibrant colours will enhance a sense of place and provide a warm and welcoming ambiance.